22. A Lucky Life (March 6, 2019) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). In some languages the word used to describe peace also means a lucky life. A Lucky Life and Kusikawsay. In Qhochapampa Quechua spoken in Bolivia / "kusikawsay" means peaceful and tranquil / but also lucky life / as if when we find peace / we can also see how lucky we are / "Kusikawsay"... Read More https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2019/03/06/A-Lucky-Life
Read all Raising Consciousness Now Blogs with Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/blog/author/Kimberly-Burnham%2C-PhD--(Integrative-Medicine)/
21. Tame Peace (February 6, 2019) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). In Antoine de Saint-Exupéry book, The Little Prince there is a conversation between the little prince and a fox about the meaning of "tame." "Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."... Read More https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2019/02/06/Tame-Peace
20. Words, Peace and Health (June 27, 2018) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). There is a saying, "holding on to hate is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." One way to expand peace, inner peace and community peace is to focus on the value of words, poetry, and visualizations in combating lingering hate, autoimmune disease...[Read More]. https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2018/06/27/Words-Peace-and-Health
19. A Still Liver, Cool Heart and Other Perceptions of Paz Mundo or Paix Mondiale (April 4, 2018) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). What can we learn from "peace" in other languages? What does "World Peace" look like to you and is it influenced by the language you speak? There are over 7000 different languages and each has one or more words for the concept "peace." Our language, what we say, as well ... [Read More] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2018/04/04/A-Still-Liver-Cool-Heart-and-Other-Perceptions-of-Paz-Mundo-or-Paix-Mondiale
18. Red Energy for Brain Health (January 25, 2018) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). Red, the Crimson Tide, Scarlet, a Sparkling Ruby, Burgundy Wine, Summer Cherries, Velvety Amaranth, Auburn Hair, the Flit of a Cardinal, a Carmine Crayon, Fire Engine Red, Molten Lava, Persian Red, a Bowl of Raspberry, Red Wine, Romantic Roses, Terra Cotta Warriors, ... [Read More] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2018/01/25/Red-Energy-for-Brain-Health
17. Metaphors and The Brain (April 13, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). Cognition research suggests the ability to speak and use language relies on the sensory and motor areas of the brain. Felt sensations and body movements [motor] engage the brain so that what comes out of the mouth makes sense. In other words, we have to be able to feel and move as we process information in order to respond well to the world around us. It might be the other way around also, the conscious appreciation of language, particularly action verb and metaphors influence how we move and feel. Sensing Movement: In a recent study, participants read sentences that describe the temporal extent of events with motion verbs—the hours crawled until the release of the news. Comparison conditions were fictive motion—the trail crawled until the end of the hills and literal motion—the caterpillar crawled towards the top of the tree. These motion based metaphors activated several parts of the brain including, the left insula, right claustrum, and bilateral posterior superior temporal sulci. [Read more] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/04/13/Metaphors-and-The-Brain @RCNConscious #metaphor #consciousness #brain #motion #athletes #rightbrain #cognition #Health and #Healing
16. Facing Love Consciously (December 8, 2016) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD #Consciousness #Health and #Healing One of the characteristics of addiction, is that when you are in the middle of it, you don’t realize that everyone doesn’t think and respond in the same way you do. Recently I was having a conversation with a friend who is a psychologist and she said, “Kim, not everyone responds the way you do, when someone mentions they are attracted to you.” That was a novel concept for me and I would invite you to post in the comments section how you respond if someone attractive expresses interest in you. Apparently according to my psychologist friend, some people just say, “Thank you” or “That is sweet” and think no more about it. It doesn’t start to consume their thoughts and influence their behavior. That’s when you know there is some kind of addiction or level of unconsciousness that comes into play, when you are strongly drawn to something or someone in a way that disrupts your life, rather than supports and improves your life, creating more love and more joy.
15. Information Medicine and Teenagers in Mumbai (February 28, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD #Health and #Healing A teenager with a computer in Mumbai, India has access to roughly the same information and education as a teenager with a computer in New York City, Paris, Tokyo or Topeka, Kansas. There is an abundance of free information in the world. Wouldn’t it be great, if we could harness information to make us healthier, speed up our own healing process, as well as build better relationships and mental health?
If you take a moment to look around at your world perhaps you will see politicians squabbling about health-care reform. You may also see the iron grip insurance companies have on the flow of funds out to finance your health-care and healing process. From my view they are black holes where any funds that slip over the event horizon, are never heard from again. Medication and hospital costs are soaring, nearly at the speed of light, towards the very edge of the known universe and doctors burdened by astronomical educational debts don’t have time to answer your questions or in some cases even ... Read More https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/02/28/Information-Medicine-and-Teenagers-in-Mumbai
14. Points of View, The State of Conscious Vision Recovery Today (February 8, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) #Consciousness #Vision #Recovery Nine million Americans with macular degeneration are losing their vision, their ability to watch transformational movies, to read inspirational books and to navigate their world safely. Their world is getting smaller, darker and less vibrant. Eyesight and vision loss is a reality for millions of people worldwide. It doesn’t have to be that way. My work here at Raising Consciousness Now is to share this message: Your eyes and perspective on the world can change and can improve as you get older. The myth that things just get worse and worse as you age has been around too long. It is a way of thinking that has outlived its usefulness. Look around yourself. Do you like what you see? Are the colors as vibrant as you would like? Do you see with clarity your purpose and the purpose of the people and things around you? Do you see the good, the resources, and the support that you want? You can change any aspect of how you see from your eyesight, your vision of the world, what you see around you. https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/02/08/Points-of-View-The-State-of-Conscious-Vision-Recovery-Today
13. Infusing Life’s Fabric with Passion (January 31, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD #Consciousness #Passion Take a moment and look at a picture or a natural scene. What sense do you get from the scene? How does it affect your body or emotional state? What part is the most interesting or the most energetic? Do you believe paintings, music and fabric can carry an energy and an intention put there by the artist or musician with conscious of what he or she was doing? Really when you think about it, what is the difference between two pieces of music? Certainly the way the sounds are combined and how they reach our ear drums matters to how we interpret the sounds and assign a label: good, bad, beautiful or noise. But what of the energy or the intention of the lyrics writer, the music composer or the performer? How is that sound wave energy conveyed on a slab of vinyl, a strip of plastic, the electric wire of a telephone line or digital stream through the air to a cell phone ring tone? Is it really that hard to believe that just like the sound waves, the energy of intention, the vibration of living...[Read More] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/01/31/Infusing-Life%E2%80%99s-Fabric-with-Passion
12. Conscious Musings About Attachment to Stuff (December 7, 2016) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD. In the process of moving, I have been thinking a lot about stuff. What to move? What to take? Where to put it between here and there? Where there should be? What I can live without and what I need to live? What is important? The last year has been an interesting journey in the relationship to my stuff and attachment to physical location. My dad says, “never pack more than you can carry yourself for a mile. June 2013 started with a flight from West Hartford, CT to Seattle, Washington. What did I need to take for a nine week journey across the country? What could I take on the plane? Fortunately, I took Southwest so I was allowed two free bags—two big duffel bags. My bicycle flew by itself on Bike Flights and was waiting when I arrived in Seattle. Did I have too much stuff for a bicycle ride across the country? Yes. Did I have everything I needed? No. I found it impossible to plan for every need. I could have bicycled 3000 miles with only three cycling jerseys instead of four but I really .. http://raisingconsciousnessnow.com/consciousness/conscious-musings-about-attachment-to-stuff/
11. Facing Love Consciously (December 8, 2016) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). One of the characteristics of addiction, is that when you are in the middle of it, you don’t realize that everyone doesn’t think and respond in the same way you do. Recently I was having a conversation with a friend who is a psychologist and she said, “Kim, not everyone... [Read more] http://raisingconsciousnessnow.com/consciousness/facing-love-consciously/ #Consciousness, #Health & #Healing
10. Dopamine and Addiction-Free Consciousness (March 8, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) Stop Repetition’s Pain – Harnessing Dopamine, Acupuncture’s Gallbladder Meridian and Sensational Medicine to Heal Your Brain. Dopamine is the brain chemical of your brain’s reward circuitry which regulates your voluntarily moving towards what you want. Dopamine helps you see your path and consciously move towards your goals. It is also the neurotransmitter of brain chemical that influences addiction or unconscious craving. Substance addiction can be viewed as the end point of a series of transitions from initial voluntary substance use to the complete loss of conscious “voluntary” control over this behavior, such that it becomes habitual and, ultimately, compulsive. It is a continuum from consciously achieving your goals to compulsive repetitive consciousness destroying behavior. Both dopamine and the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine have been linked with consciousness and particularly self-awareness. Recently researchers have presented the hypothesis that not only is self-awareness ... [Read more]. https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/03/08/Dopamine-and-Addiction-Free-Consciousness #Consciousness, #Health & #Healing
9. Can Bicycling Raise Consciousness? (December 14, 2016) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). When I started thinking about whether bicycling or other kinds of exercises can raise consciousness, I was hoping to find some evidence that it does because, I have been cycling a lot lately, 370 miles last month. I am training for a 3300 mile Cross USA Ride (Seattle, Washington to Washington, DC) in summer 2013 with Hazon, which is all about raising our consciousness of sustainable agriculture and our relationship to the natural environment. While researching this topic I found some tricky researchers: “In one study bicyclists were tricked into thinking the ambient temperature as well as their body temperature was lower than it actually was. This is what the researchers said, “We used incorrect visual feedback of ambient and core temperature. Seven males completed three 30 min cycling time trials in a randomized order on a Kingcycle ergometer. One time trial was in temperate conditions (21.8 degrees C), the others in hot, humid conditions (31.4 degrees C). In one of the hot, humid condi... Read More https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2016/12/14/Can-Bicycling-Raise-Consciousness #Consciousness, #Health & #Healing
8. Fractal Consciousness of Self-Similar Uniqueness (March 14, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). I know, I am different from you. I also know that I share 98 percent of my DNA with chimpanzees. And that means you and I are even more similar. What we each focus on makes the real difference between you and I. Are we similar enough for me to feel comfortable sharing my thoughts, expressing my feelings? Or are we different enough for there to be something I can learn from you? Are we fractal parts of a whole? What is your perspective on the information bridging the gap between you and I? Eleven million bits per second! That is an estimation of how much information is sent to your brain for processing. It includes the light reflecting from a child’s expression as he or she looks into your eyes, sound waves from the easy listening radio show bouncing on your ear drum, the smell of a crisp fall day as the wind blows through an apple orchard, the taste and crunch of a sweet juicy pear or the way your loose cotton shirt covers the skin of your shoulders. The human body sends 11 million bits of... https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/03/14/Fractal-Consciousness-of-Self-Similar-Uniqueness #Consciousness, #Health & #Healing
7. Dowsing Helps You Heal (February 16, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). Physical, social and emotional pain decreases as consciousness of choices and opportunities raises. Using your hands on physical reflex point and dowsing with your hands is a way to make subconscious health information conscious. Dowsing is a pathway to raising your consciousness and connection with healing and a pain-free life. So, what is dowsing? Dowsing for water or witching for water is an old tradition, that has been used for many years. In dowsing for water the practitioner holds two sticks parallel to each other out in front of their body. Often the sticks are branches from the water-seeking willow tree. The practitioner walks around the area where they are searching for water or the best place to dig a well. At some point the two sticks are no longer parallel, they cross forming an X. This is where the water well is dug. The success of this ancient technique has been verified by modern technology. Dowsing can also be used to improve your health and help you be more conscious [Read more]. https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/02/16/Dowsing-Helps-You-Heal #Health & #Healing, #Inspiration
6. Fractals: The Mathematics of Abundance Consciousness (January 18, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine). A consciousness of the similarities between you and others can bring a fuller sense of inner peace and abundance into daily life. An example of the self-similar property of geometric fractal shapes is a tree. The trunk has branches. Each branch is a smaller version of the trunk with branches. Even the leaves have a central vein, which is like a tiny branching trunk. From large to small there is a self-similarity, a sameness in the pattern but each part of the structure differs in other ways. Each branch is similar to the wholeness in pattern and function but also unique in size, color, texture, thickness and more. With this uniqueness comes abundance, an abundance of structures, cells, shapes, and variety. If a tree was just one big trunk with leaves coming off of it, the overall mass of the tree would be significantly smaller. The fractal shape of a sequoia tree is designed to catch the most sunlight, distribute the most nutrients from the ground and through the sap. [Read more]. https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/01/18/Fractals-The-Mathematics-of-Abundance-Consciousness Read More #Consciousness, #Health & #Healing, #Vision Recovery
5. What Meaning Are You Assigning To Your Life? (December 28, 2016) by by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) When my brother had three small boys, he would take his family out to a store or a friend’s house or to a restaurant. As he walked in the door he would look around and say, “there that chair is the time out chair.” He didn’t need to say more than that. His boys knew that it they were good they could roam around doing what they wanted and if they were bad they would be sitting in THAT chair. The funny thing was, that they might sit in any number of chairs but unless forced would never sit in the time out chair. Even though that chair was physically no different than any other chair in the place. My brother’s words irrevocably changed the chair by assigning it a certain meaning to it. In medicine a diagnosis is a way of assigning meaning to a certain set of symptoms. When we feel a pain, we often assign a meaning to it. At some point perhaps thousands of years ago, someone assigned a meaning to a point on the body saying, “this point on the bottom of the foot is kidney one, the first point... [Read More] http://raisingconsciousnessnow.com/consciousness/what-meaning-are-you-assigning-to-your-life/ #Consciousness, #Health & Healing, #Vision Recovery
4. Can You Feel Your Feet and What They are Doing to Your Heartbeat? (February 22, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) Imagine for a moment a busy retail store at 3 o’clock on a sunny afternoon, you hear a door slam, turn to look in the direction of the sound, a friend waves and you go on with your shopping. Now imagine the same retail store, the same door slamming but it is 3 o’clock in the morning and you are surrounded by darkness. As you turn to look in the direction of the sound, what happens to your heart rate? To your adrenal glands and sympathetic nervous system? To your brain waves? To your digestive and immune system? To the large muscles in your legs? For many people, the experience of the door slamming will affect their body in different ways. The identical sound in the darkness when you think you are alone, does not have the same effect as when you are surrounded by sunshine in a busy environment. We receive a significant amount of sensory information from our eyes, ears, nose and mouth as well as touch and proprioceptive information [where our joints and body are in space] from our entire [Read More] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/02/22/Can-You-Feel-Your-Feet-and-What-Are-They-Doing-to-Your-Heartbeat #Consciousness #Health and #Healing
3. Noticing Our Nourishing World, Gut Feelings and Fractal Patterns (January 26, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) French mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot coined a single word to describe a wide range of geometric structures or patterns found throughout nature, including trees, coastlines, our own branching blood vessel tree, the layers of tissue in the small intestines, and the neural network of our brain. The term is “fractals,” and it describes the richly-textured self-similar shapes existing everywhere. A tree is an example of a fractal. Each branch resembles a smaller version of the trunk. Even the leaves have tiny, branching veins which are self-similar to the branching trunk. A tree is visually complex, but it is made up of one simple branching pattern. The self-similar structures, patterns, processes, and information inside and outside your body share similarities with nature. You are an integral part of the pattern that forms the natural world––held by it, included within it, and safe to explore the opportunities it provides for learning and growth ... [ Read more] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/01/26/Noticing-Our-Nourishing-World-Gut-Feelings-and-Fractal-Patterns #Consciousness #Health & #Healing
2. Are You Knocking Yourself Out? (January 12, 2017) by Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) #Consciousness # Health and Healing Do you have enough oxygen in your lungs, resources in your life and positive impact on the world? Your body has several ways in which things can get in—inside the skin. We can breathe in a big lung full of air during yoga practice or perhaps our breath will come in sobs, shallow full of emotions. We may gasp in fear or pleasure. We may cough and choke on foul air or inhale deeply the fresh mountain air near a waterfall. However we breathe, we must all continue until we die. We have to connect through the air with our environment. We are all the same in that way. We may breath in different ways, in different places, certainly there is variability in the air quality but we all breathe in the air around us or succumb to a coma of confusion. One way to clear up confusion in your body, in your relationships or on your journey is to ensure there is enough oxygen driving consciousness and life. If you hold your breath long enough through anger or being underwater, eventually you will lose consci... [Read More] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/01/12/Are-You-Knocking-Yourself-Out #Consciousness, #Health & Healing
1. Consciously Harnessing The Placebo Effect, It Is Not What You Think, It Is What You Expect (January 24, 2017) Kimberly Burnham, PhD. There are many influences on your conscious and unconscious mind. One of my favorite Japanese sayings is “There are many ways to the top of Mount Fuji.” So too are there many ways to improve your level of consciousness and with it your memory, your vitality and the quality of your experience. Among the influencers of consciousness is reality, the physical sensations of experience, the red of a ripe apple, the sound of a school bell, the smell of hot pumpkin pie, the internal feeling of cold Rocky Mountain air at the top of a ski lift, the taste of fresh squeezed lemonade, the skin sensation and deeper feelings of a hot stone massage, or the texture of a custom-made silk shirt. If any of the physical substrate of sensation: the eyes, the nose, the taste buds, the ear, the skin, are damaged or deadened your experience of the rich texture of life is altered. What you sense forms a stream of information going into and impacting your conscious and subconscious mind. In this blog series toget... [Read more] https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/single-post/2017/01/24/Consciously-Harnessing-The-Placebo-Effect-It-Is-Not-What-You-Think-It-Is-What-You-Expect
Read all Raising Consciousness Now Blogs with Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine) https://www.raisingconsciousnessnow.com/blog/author/Kimberly-Burnham%2C-PhD-(Integrative-Medicine)/
Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine)
860-221-8510 phone and what's app. Skype: Kimberly Burnham (Spokane, Washington)
Chat with Kimberly about Parkinson's, Poetry or other Brain related issues.
Not Taking Advantage of Your Amazon Author's page?
Kimberly Burnham helps authors get their books out into the world more broadly by improving their free Amazon Author's page and book pages, posting a book review on her blog and on her LinkedIn Pulse blog (over 12,000 followers) Promotion packages start at $50. Contact her at NerveWhisperer@gmail.com. See her Amazon Author's Page.
See her list of publications including her latest book of brain health meditations, Awakenings: Peace Dictionary, Language and the Mind, a Daily Brain Health Program.
Designed to enhance memory, creativity, and inner peace, Awakenings: Peace,Dictionary, Language and the Mind, a Daily Brain Health Program is available free of charge as a Kindle eBook on February 14-15, 2019. [Click Here].
Please share and write a review on Amazon.
I am looking for guest blog opportunities and a position as poet-in-residence. My current project is writing dictionary poems using words in different languages for the English word "peace." You can read some of my poems on Poemhunter .
As poet-in-residence I would write poems on different words in different languages and broadcast them throughout the social media blogosphere. Each poem would link back to your site where the word or language appeared.
I would expect some sort of stipend and a six month to one year placement. Please contact me for details if your organization is interested in having a poet-in-residence to help get your message out. Nervewhisperer@gmial.com
Buy the print or eBook, review Awakenings then contact Kimberly for a free 20 minute brain health consultation. Email or Phone
(Regular rates $120 per hour or 10 sessions for $650.)