Tell Your Story in a Poem
Share: Tell your story related to Parkinson's disease, explain an experience, or share a feeling in poetic form.
Poetry Anthology Detail [Here] Submission & Contest Deadline March 10, 2018
Thoughts, Sensations, Actions
Thoughts, Sensations, Actions: Can you understand the words of a poem, experience the sensations evoked, and feel the movement in the action verbs in the story? Write a poem that includes your thoughts, sensation words, and action verbs.
"A growing body of evidence in cognitive science and neuroscience points towards the existence of a deep interconnection between cognition, perception and action. According to this embodied perspective language is grounded in the sensorimotor system and language understanding is based on a mental simulation process. This means that during action words and sentence comprehension the same perception, action, and emotion mechanisms implied during interaction with objects are recruited. Among the neural underpinnings of this simulation process an important role is played by a sensorimotor matching system known as the mirror neuron system. "The first is that the processing of action-related sentences causes the resonance of motor and mirror neurons encoding the corresponding actions. The second is that there exists a varying degree of crosstalk between neuronal populations depending on whether they encode the same motor act, the same effector or the same action-goal. The third is the fact that neuronal populations' internal dynamics, which results from the combination of multiple processes taking place at different time scales, can facilitate or interfere with successive activations of the same or of partially overlapping pools." — Chersi, F., S. Thill, et al. (2010). "Sentence processing: linking language to motor chains." Front Neurorobot 4."
Self-Help / Health & Wellness $16.95
Are you one of the ten million people worldwide living with Parkinson's disease? Is someone you love losing their independence or their ability to walk due to Parkinson's disease?
Possibly you have found success in medications and surgery. Perhaps you are looking for other ways to decrease the tremors in your hands, so you can enjoy a dinner out with friends. Maybe you want to improve your walking or are a lifelong runner who has had to give up exercise because of the stiffness in your legs and the pain in your back. Maybe you are reading this book to learn some easy ways to balance your brain chemistry and feel more expressive, more focused, and more successful.
ACUPUNCTURE, REIKI, CRANIOSACRAL THERAPY
Have you tried acupuncture for the symptoms of Parkinson's disease? Have you been thinking about how Craniosacral therapy, Integrative Manual Therapy or Reiki could improve your life?
MATRIX ENERGETICS, EMOTIONAL FREEDOM TECHNIQUE (EFT)
Maybe someone has talked to you about the benefits of Matrix Energetics, Emotional Freedom Technique's light tapping or Nature's Sensational Medicine. Perhaps you have never even heard of any of these things but your are searching for something that will help you feel better and are open to something new.
There is a saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," but do you know the second part of the saying?
"The fastest way to become an old dog? .... Stop learning new tricks."
Yes, some of these exercises can seem crazy but before you decide, spend two minutes doing one of the many exercises, visualizations, movements. Spend some time looking at the colors around you or reading the research from ancient Traditional Chinese Medicine or the latest article from Amy Cuddy, a Harvard professor who has found that two minutes of "Power Posing" or standing in a Wonder Woman or Superman posture can improve testosterone levels, literally making you a more powerful leader. Striking a two minute pose, standing or moving in a particular way also decreases cortisol levels, which makes you more adaptable and less stressed.
Read the research linking dopamine to the energy of your gallbladder, even if it has been removed. In Acupuncture the gallbladder meridian is associated with the color green. It is, along with the liver a Wood Element. What if visualizing the color green flowing through your body, through your brain, through your liver and gallbladder could improve your control of movement, walking, or your facial expressions? Would it be worth spending two minutes a day?
What if visualizing yourself moving in a smooth controlled conscious way could help you in the real world to drive more safely, walk without falling and enjoy your family more. Read the research on motor imagery, on using the mind to heal the brain, on the response of dopamine to physical exercises as well as imaginative rehabilitation.
Imagination is being able to see something before it is visible before it is real in your life.
Would your life improve if you were more confident and compassionate or less angry and disappointed? What would change in the here and now if you could imagine a future, a full and independent life?
What if spending a few minutes a day thinking about disgusting food could improve your basal ganglia function. The basal ganglia is the part of the brain where surgically the deep brain stimulator is placed to suppress unwanted movements like ticks and tremors. What if your emotions could flow along the pathways that also light up the basal ganglia, making it possible for you to stand up, walk and turn as you navigate your world with more ease?
WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO FEEL BETTER?
What do you have to let go of to harness the healing in your own hands and in your own mind? Are you consciously using touch to improve your independence, your movement, or your comfort?
Read this book for the easy ways to balance your brain chemistry and feel more expressive, more focused, and more successful
Look in these pages for other ways to decrease the tremors in your hands, so you can enjoy a dinner out with friends.
Improve your walking or get back to exercising by improving the stiffness in your legs and the pain in your back.
Easy tips and exercises to use in daily life from the fields of:
Integrative Manual Therapy
Emotional Freedom Technique
Nature's Sensational Medicine
Kimberly Burnham's book, Parkinson's Alternatives: Parkinson's Disease? Walk Better, Sleep Deeper and Move Consciously, Solutions from Nature's Sensational Medicine is dedicated to care, self-help, outreach, education and research. Kimberly has included research from her PhD (Integrative Medicine) dissertation. She specializes in working with people with Parkinson disease, dystonia, Tourette, diabetic neuropathy, Huntington's disease and movement disorders as well as other brain, spinal cord, nerve and eyesight related disorders. http://www.amazon.com/Parkinsons-Consciously-Solutions-Sensational-ebook/dp/B00AY5A20O
http://www.amazon.com/Parkinsons-Consciously-Solutions-Sensational-ebook/dp/B00AY5A20O Kindle eBook ISBN: 978-1-937207-09-0 Print book ISBN: ISBN: 978-1-937207-12-0
Kimberly Burnham PhD, Transformational Author, (2012). Parkinson's Disease? Walk Better, Sleep Deeper and Move Consciously, Solutions from Nature's Sensational Medicine West Hartford, CT, The Nerve Whisperer Press; Kindle Purchase Price: $9.95; Prime Members: $0.00 (borrow for free from your Kindle); Length: 240 pages http://www.amazon.com/Parkinsons-Consciously-Solutions-Sensational-ebook/dp/B00AY5A20O
A PhD in Integrative Medicine, Kimberly Burnham has a private practice at St. Luke's Rehabilitation Institute in Spokane, Washington. Known as The Nerve Whisperer, she travels extensively speaking at conferences and consulting in multi-disciplinary clinics in North America, Europe and Asia. She is an avid cyclist and spent nine weeks raising money for Hazon (Vision in Hebrew), sustainable agriculture and food justice by bicycling 3000 miles across the US at age 56. Kim can be reached at www.KimberlyBurnhamPhD.com Enjoy her other books on Sleep, Huntington's Ataxia, Diabetes, Visualization, Macular Degeneration, Fractals, Healing Through Words, & World Healing, World Peace.
Happy New Year. I look forward to consulting with people who want better movement, pain-free comfort, internal body communication and vision in 2018. Please contact me if you want to work with me in 2018.
Here are a few of the exercises I shared with clients around the world in 2012.
1. Sensational Medicine, healing the sensory system with new activities. You know the saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But do you know the second half? The fastest way to become an old dog? ... Stop learning new tricks. So in 2013 learn something new a new trick, observe a new sensation, notice something old in a new way. These are the ways to improve your brain and eye function. Pick something up every day and notice the shape, color, texture, sound, taste, smell, temperature, consistency, and how the parts make up the whole and how it is connected to its surroundings. How is it similar or different from what is around you.
2. Blinking exercise like pushups for the eyes. These exercises and more are about 28 minutes into this video http://consciousnessnow.tv/video/interview-with-kimberly-burnham-phd-on-the-2012-consciousness-raising-summit/ You can also read my blog posts which are part of my upcoming book, Harnessing the Placebo Effect, It Is Not What You Think, It Is What You Expect.
3. Tibetan eye chart for vision, insight and eyesight. Place the chart with the center line at eye level about an arm's length from your eyes. Moving only your eyes look at each of the outer circles, rotating your eyes in a clockwise direction. Do this twice then do two circle in a counterclockwise direction. Notice the colors and shapes. Then run your eyes through the center from top to bottom, then back to the top again several times. Then run your eyes back and forth a few times along each of the diagonal lines through the center. Notice the patterns, colors and shapes. Next make another circuit around the outer circles clockwise and counter clockwise. Lastly look up to the right, down to the left, up to the left and down to the right creating a figure eight pattern with your eyes. The chart is at http://kimberlyburnhamphd.com/Self-Care___Intake_Forms.html or email me for an attached picture.
4. Neck tapping gives your brain two different perspectives on the same activity, increasing your attention to sound, to what you hear in the world outside of you and the vibrations you hear inside of you. This is a great exercise to do in the morning to increase your conscious alertness and creativity during the day. Tap on the back of your neck with all of your fingers like you are playing a piano along the back of the neck. After a moment cover your ears with the heel of your hands and lightly tap again. Notice the difference in the sound, the tone, the loudness of the vibration, feel the feeling of your fingers on your neck and notice how the sound changes depending on whether you are covering your ears or not.
5. Darth Vader breathing for better hearing, decreased neck and jaw tension and relaxation before going to bed. Darth Vader breathing means to stand or sit and suck in the air making a sound like Darth Vader. The point is to make a sound as you draw in a deep breath. This ensures not only that you have a few breaths that are deep and fill your lungs with oxygen but also that your brain hears you breathing and is reassured, allowing you to relax.
6. Mindfulness eating for taste, smell and power. For two minutes before eating, stand or sit in the power pose (feet spread wider than shoulders, hands on hips, head up, spine elongated). Think about the food you are about to eat. The temperature, the color, the texture, the shapes, and more. What are you most grateful for?
For more exercises, ideas and book to help you sleep deeper, decrease stress and chronic pain, improve your balance and transform your life, visit Kimberly Burnham's Amazon author's page http://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Burnham/e/B0054RZ4A0 (Parkinson's, Sleep, Vision, Balance and more...)
Kimberly Burnham, PhD (Integrative Medicine)
860-221-8510 phone and what's app. Skype: Kimberly Burnham (Spokane, Washington)
4 Month Brain Health Coaching Package $600 includes: 8 one hour session (twice a month) plus ... Details Here
Regular Rate $120 per hour
Free 20-30 minute consultations available.. Call 860-221-8510 PST or email NerveWhisperer@gmail.com for an appointment this week.